Hair is a sensitive subject. Whether you’ve had your share of bad salon experiences or tried an at-home treatment that went awry, we have all been in a place of distress with our locks. However, after trial and tribulation, there are still some simple mistakes we make when it comes to maintaining hair health and beauty.
1) Using hot irons to damp hair- Yes, heat makes wetness disappear, but in this case, you will completely demolish your hair’s ends and break it in the process. Just wait until your hair dries fully or blow dry it to speed up the process, but whatever you do, do not iron wet hair. For more tips on hair styling visit our post on Three Ways to Your Style Hair Without Heat.
2) Intensely towel drying your hair – Doing this immediately causes split ends and damages your hair. Opt for a more simple routine, such as gently drying your hair with a cotton towel. By simply squeezing your hair with the towel as opposed to aggressively mangling it, you will minimize frizz and prevent breakage and hair damage.
3) Cutting your own bangs – Edward Scissorhands is your favorite movie. Scissors are not your favorite friend. Just don’t do it.
4) Over washing your hair – Clean hair is important, but sometimes, we tend to over wash our hair without knowing it. Doing so will strip the moisture from the scalp, leaving us with dry, frizzy hair. Load up on the moisturizing conditioner and products afterward to ensure that you don’t deal with this problem.
5) Using hairspray before styling- Think of hairspray as the finishing touch of your hair care. Never use it before using heating tools and always use it after applying gels or other holding sprays. Instead apply a heat protector before deciding to use any styling tools.
Following these simple hair care routine rules will rid you of split ends and keep your hair in the best condition possible. Simple changes, such as how you dry your hair, can make a world of difference.