What Is Ketoconazole?
Ketoconazole is a clinically proven, powerful anti-fungal used to treat various fungal infections, such as dandruff, and can help curb hair loss. Ketoconazole helps remove toxins and debris from the scalp and hair, perfectly preparing it for a hair loss shampoo to help regrow hair. This anti-fungal can also be effective in stimulating new hair growth on the scalp if you are someone who suffers from androgenic alopecia, another term for male and female pattern baldness. This condition is more common in men, but both genders can have it.
How Does Hair Loss Happen?
Androgenic alopecia usually occurs at the crown of the head in men, while women usually undergo thinning hair over the entire surface area of the scalp. Hair loss is caused predominantly due to an imbalance of dihydrotestosterone (DHT), which comes from the male hormone testosterone. Believe it or not, both men and women carry testosterone in their bodies, with men obviously carrying more. DHT binds to the receptors in the hair follicles on the scalp. It then shrinks the follicles and makes it almost impossible for healthy hair to survive, thus causing hair loss. Ketoconazole is useful in that it can counter the effects of DHT in those who suffer from androgenic alopecia.
Ketoconazole Used Orally vs. Topically
Ketoconazole is available in both oral and topical forms. Although some people do decide to take it orally to treat fungal infections of the urinary tract, skin, and mouth, there can be some harsh side effects. The most commonly used form of Ketoconazole is in shampoo for hair loss. One percent Ketoconazole is available for purchase over the counter, while higher percentages, such as 2%, require a prescription from your doctor. Of course, the 2% formula is stronger and will most likely work better, but it is important to consult your doctor before deciding to start any new regimen.
Some agree that using Ketoconazole in conjunction with systemic antiandrogens will help regrow your hair faster. This is because Ketoconazole blocks the synthesis of DHT in the scalp, while acting as an “antagonist” of the androgen receptors in your body. Since using these two products together can help block the androgen receptors more powerfully, it is said that this can lead to a more effective treatment of androgenic alopecia in both men and women.
When using Ketoconazole shampoo for hair loss, you must follow the directions accurately. Improper usage can cause irritation, however, it is in very rare cases that this happens. It is vital that you use the shampoo on a regular basis and don’t forget to skip doses. This will aid in the effectiveness of the Ketoconazole shampoo for hair loss!
Steps on How to Use Ketoconazole Shampoo For Hair Loss
- Make sure that your scalp is not already irritated, cut, bruised, or burning.
- Wet your hair thoroughly
- Apply a generous amount of the Ketoconazole shampoo to your hair
- Use your fingers to rub the shampoo into your scalp until it forms into a lather
- Wait one minute to ensure the shampoo gets to the scalp
- Rinse your scalp of the Ketoconazole shampoo thoroughly
- Towel dry
- Repeat steps 1-7 daily
Ketoconazole has also proven to be beneficial for those who suffer from different skin conditions, such as ringworm, candidiasis (yeast infection), athlete’s foot, and jock itch among others. Since Ketoconazole is such a powerful anti-fungal, it has become the first choice for doctors to recommend to their patients suffering from conditions such as these. Ketoconazole is usually applied once a day for 2-6 weeks topically for conditions such as the ones stated above.
Things to Discuss With Your Doctor before Using Ketoconazole
- Talk about the current medications you are taking and see if there could be possibly side effects by incorporating Ketoconazole (this includes vitamins and supplements)
- Tell your doctor of any allergies you may have
- Discuss your current medical state and condition and ensure that your body can handle the Ketoconazole
- Discuss your current food and drink diet to prevent any possible negative side effects
- Tell your doctor if you are pregnant, breastfeeding, or looking to get pregnant any time soon.
- Tell your doctor if you have ever had a serious illness or medical condition
Ketoconazole has proven to be a beneficial solution for those suffering from hair loss. A hair loss shampoo with Ketoconazole helps clarify the scalp and hair from all toxins and debris, while removing DHT to make way for new growth!