Damaged hair isn’t fun. Whether it is your split ends or over-dyed locks, there are several natural masks that you can concoct to strengthen and condition your hair. Castor oil is one of them. This one step process has several benefits, including deeply moisturizing the scalp and prevents future damage. It is extremely easy to apply, but there are some crucial steps that need to be taken to ensure that you get the most out of your at home treatment.
- Get the necessary materials – First, wear an old t-shirt or some sort of protective clothing to avoid any stains. Also, make sure that you have a substantial amount of oil in a suitable container. You may use your hands or a brush for applying. Make sure you have a hair cap nearby.
- Split your hair in sections – Depending on how thick your hair is, ensure that your hair is split into sections to get to every part of your head.
- Put the oil on your head- If you are using your hands, scoop a palm sized amount of oil and evenly distribute it throughout your hair and scalp. If you decided to use a brush, dip the brush in the oil and apply it on your scalp first. Once you cover the scalp, work your way down the length of your hair. After applying the oil, wet your fingers in the oil and apply it by making small circles on the scalp. This will increase the blood circulation in this area for optimal absorption.
- Tie your hair up – It is recommended that you twist your hair into a bun towards the middle-back of the head. Once this is done, take your shower cap and securely cover your hair.
- Wait – Depending on how damaged your hair is, the longer you leave it on, the more moisturized your hair will get. It is recommended to leave it tied up for at least two hours.
- Wash – Once the time has passed, it is time to shower. Use a sulfate-free shampoo to get the healthiest, most radiant results. This will prevent any aggravation or inflammation on the scalp.
- Condition – Apply your favorite sulfate and paraben-free conditioner and wash out with cold water. This eliminates frizz.
- Air Dry – It is especially important to air dry rather than with a towel or t-shirt. This will help prevent split ends.